Remodel for today and tomorrow.
Universal design creates products and spaces that are readily accessible by a wide variety of people at any age and capability. This type of design takes into account human diversity, including physical, perceptual and cognitive abilities, as well as differentbody sizes and shapes. Designing for change creates safer, easier and more convenient rooms for everyone; rooms which are the most functional and user-friendy.Most homeowners are ready to remodel their home according to their current needs, but few consider what may be around the corner or down the road. This is where Weidmann steps in. With our experience, we look at the big picture, for “Now” & into the “Future.” Our team designs and is pre-planning for current needs and for what lies ahead, helping homeowners achieve the ultimate in remodeling results.
What If . . .?
Design Today for Tomorrow
Weidmann identifies the “What ifs…” Our team considers life changes when remodeling a home. What if . . . you or your child breaks a leg, someone you love is in a wheel chair, you develop arthritis or your aging parents visit frequently? We design for the many possibilities life may bring your way.
Thorough pre-planning lays out various scenarios that will offer easy adaptation for life now and down the road.
1. Bathrooms can be designed with extra space outside the water closet. With some additional floor tile held in reserve, if wheelchair access becomes necessary in the future, the wall next to the toilet can be removed and tile flooring filled in.
2. Cabinets in a bath can be built to allow easy modification for direct access to a sink by someone in a wheel chair.
3. Blocking can be installed behind walls where grab bars can be added at later date.
4. Lever handles installed throughout homes; specific towel holders doubling as grab bars; touch control water faucets—all of these fixtures allow for easy manipulation by all ages and abilities.
5. Curbless shower entries, more shower space, and fold down bench seats, provide both an aesthetically pleasing look and barrier free access.
This Invisible Design provides the homeowner with elements incorporated into their rooms that can be easily adapted in the future as needs change. Having the ability to talk through many of these design options before these features become a necessity simplifies the adaptation process when they do. While never an easy discussion, our client’s have appreciated our frank approach in making their remodel one that will be enjoyed for a lifetime.